It’s a new day. Everything that has happened before this moment is gone. All we have is right now. Ideally, every day we’d wake up in the morning full with this mindset. We’d be full of gusto, loving life, and everything involved in it. In reality, this isn’t always the case. I think it’s safe to say that a lot of us carry around regrets or disappointments of things that have happened to us in the past. We carry resentment toward a parent who was never around as a child or wish we had been a little more compassionate toward a loved one. Living in the past will not bring us happiness in the future. In fact, if we want to lead happy, peaceful lives it is crucial to dissolve ill-will towards what has happened in our past. As we go through life, there are always going to be situations that will make us feel down or disappointed. Part of growing spiritually is learning to let go of the past to heal.
Check out some simple ways to begin to heal, let go, and live the life you’ve been waiting for.
1. Sacred Mantra- When you start to go backwards in time, bring yourself back by repeating your sacred mantra. You’ll keep yourself from spiraling into a negative place and come back to the present moment.
2. Affirmations- A nice complement to your mantra repetition. Choose some positive affirmations that will help you heal your past and remind you of how wonderful life is. Replace those negative thoughts with positive ones.
3. Learn the Lesson- Often times we keep rehashing a situation simply because we haven’t learned the lesson from it yet. Take a minute to contemplate why this keeps coming up for you and see what you can take from it to move forward.
4. Forgive- If you’re going back to a place where you’ve been wronged or hurt, open up your heart with compassion to the situation and start the path of forgiveness.
5. Release- Let go of what has happened before this very moment. It is no longer with us. We cannot change what has happened previously in our lives, but we can change what we do going forward.
6. Surrender- If you’re stuck in a rut about things that have happened in your life and don’t know how to move past it, surrender to a higher power, knowing that in life, you are given what you need, when you need it. Trust that things are happening to you so you can learn and grow.
Are you stuck in the past? What have you done to help bring you back to the present moment? Share with us in the comments!
Michelle is Peaceful Mind Peaceful Life's Creative Director and resident writer. She has a degree in Journalism from Indiana University and is also a certified holistic health coach through the Institute for Integrative Nutrition and registered yoga teacher with trainings with Anuttara Yoga Shala and Strala Yoga. Michelle has a deep desire to help people find happiness in all areas of their lives, and truly believes the Peaceful Mind Peaceful Life movement will bring lasting change to the world. Michelle splits her time between Florida and New York City and loves connecting with people from all over the world. If you'd like to contact her, she can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org