It’s officially the most wonderful time of the year, right? The holiday season always makes me feel so happy, nostalgic, and joyful. That is, until I let the outside pressures of the holiday creep in, inducing stress and unease.
Holidays have become bigger than life; more expectations, more highs and lows, and more pressure to be perfect. When we let this happen, the real meaning of love, joy, and peace tend to go out the window. Luckily, I’m here to help!
I want to enjoy this magical time just as much as you, so I’ve put together some tips on keeping your holiday season (whatever that looks like for you) stress-free, happy, and calm. If you’re feeling the heat from holiday stress, check out these tips below.
- Center yourself so your presence is a present of peace. If you want your holidays to be less stressed, you have to start with yourself. A great way to find calm and centeredness no matter what is going on is to spend a few minutes everyday in silence and meditation. Your energy of ease will spread to those around you. Be the change!
- >Get organized. There tends to be a lot going on at this time of year. Holiday parties, gift exchanges, family get togethers, it can be challenging to keep it all in order. Give yourself a break by taking some time to get organized with all you have going on.
- Set your priorities straight! Stemming off of tip #2 above, there is a ton going on at this time. You DON’T have to do it all. There you go, I gave you permission to say no. We often feel pressured to go to every party and event and please everyone. This mentality will only add more stress! Get clear on what you truly want to do and what you want to be apart of, and release the rest.
- Let go of perfection. Things don’t have to be perfect to be enjoyable. Some of the most fun, memorable holiday experiences I’ve had come from spur of the moment “mistakes” or unplanned events. Don’t run yourself ragged trying to create the perfect holiday situation. Make plans, set intentions, but release control of minor details.
- Remember the reason of the season. Be loving! Love is why we are here, isn’t it? If you feel yourself getting caught up in the hustle and bustle, take a few seconds, come back to your breath, and get back in tune with that loving attitude. Try making someone else’s day by being extra kind and compassionate. Give back to those who may need some help this year, and treat everyone with so much love.
What are some of your go-to’s for staying sane this season? Let me know, and happy holidays!
Michelle is Peaceful Mind Peaceful Life's Creative Director and resident writer. She has a degree in Journalism from Indiana University and is also a certified holistic health coach through the Institute for Integrative Nutrition and registered yoga teacher with trainings with Anuttara Yoga Shala and Strala Yoga. Michelle has a deep desire to help people find happiness in all areas of their lives, and truly believes the Peaceful Mind Peaceful Life movement will bring lasting change to the world. Michelle splits her time between Florida and New York City and loves connecting with people from all over the world. If you'd like to contact her, she can be reached at email@example.com