I was recently in a situation that tested me in every aspect–mentally, physically, emotionally, and spiritually. I generally feel confident that I can handle whatever it is that life throws at me, but sometimes we are thrown curveballs that can knock us off our game. I truly believe that everything happens for a reason and that life’s situations are here to teach us and to help us grow into the best versions of ourselves. It is from this mindset that I have a strong foundation for dealing with situations that challenge me deeply. While in my own struggle recently, I realized that my personal process, in dealing with this challenge, is sharing with all of you. In the end, I hope that you learn that the challenging situations in our lives do not define who we are but add to our layers that give us character, wisdom, and strength. If you are going through a difficult situation, I send you lots of love and offer my ways to get through, come out the other end, and thrive:
1. Become aware of the thoughts and mindset you have surrounding the situation. As we know, awareness is the first step in bringing lasting change.
2. Focus on the good. Even when times are trying, there are still silver linings. This is what saved me in my situation. I found positive aspects that kept my attitude positive and my mind at ease.
3. Be grateful for the positives. When you recognize the good, give thanks for it. That is a sure fire way to bring more good into your life. Gratitude is a proactive way of replacing the negative with a positive.
4. Don’t dwell on the negative. Many of us get stuck in negative mental patterns like complaining or dwelling on what isn’t working out for us. Complaining or worrying really won’t get you where you want to go. When you start to go down a negative road, make the conscious choice to veer back to positive.
5. Remember that nothing lasts forever, even the painful times. Just like with everything else, time heals all. Painful moments will pass; it’s how we deal with the painful moments that matter. Use your pain and struggle to build you up higher, not drag you down lower. Everything happens for a reason.
My wish is that this helps you in your process for dealing with all difficult situations. Please remember you are not alone, and this too shall pass. Do you have a personal process when things get difficult?
Let me know in the comments!