Your home is where your heart is. It is your respite from all the craziness going on in the world. Right now, is your home a peaceful place to come to day in and day out, leaving you feeling secure and comforted? For many of us, the answer is no. Throughout the years we collect stuff that we feel obliged to keep. The clutter mounts. The energy in your rooms feel stale. Many of us believe that we just have to keep things the way they are. You’re not going to go out and buy a new place; you’re not going to spend hundreds of dollars hiring a decorator to revamp your space. What can you do to make your home a place that lifts you up and invigorates you? Check out five tips below on making your home a place that resonates with your heart (and body and mind and spirit).
1. Center yourself. When making significant changes to your life, I think it’s always important to go inward and connect. Finding out what you really want. You’ll be surprised by what you might find out if you sit in stillness, contemplate your breath, and meditate on your home space.
2. Create a game plan. You’re not going to complete every room in your home in a day. Whether you’re living in a studio apartment or a seven thousand square foot home, be at peace and know that this is a process. You’ve already become a little more clear on how you want your space to feel. Take off little chunks at a time and stick with one until accomplished.
3. Scan and toss. A daunting task, as we grow emotionally connected to things throughout our homes. An old trinket from a fun event, a 10-year old birthday card from a friend, again, be present and feel if some of these things still resonate with you today. If not, toss, recycle, donate. Find someway to rid your space of these things. This step alone can help you and your home feel so much lighter.
4. Play around with your space. Move things around. Feel the energy in each room. Your home should be fun and enjoyable, mix it up a little bit. Maybe by taking the television out of your bedroom and putting it in the study, you instantly feel rejuvenated. Play around and find some fresh, new ways to use your space.
5. Treat yourself. Go out to flea markets, department stores, yard sales. Pick up a few accent pieces that you really feel you can’t live without. Add some color, add some variety. Give your eyes something new and special to take in each day.
Is the energy in your home feeling stale? Have you given your space a makeover? What has worked for you? Let us know!
Michelle is Peaceful Mind Peaceful Life's Creative Director and resident writer. She has a degree in Journalism from Indiana University and is also a certified holistic health coach through the Institute for Integrative Nutrition and registered yoga teacher with trainings with Anuttara Yoga Shala and Strala Yoga. Michelle has a deep desire to help people find happiness in all areas of their lives, and truly believes the Peaceful Mind Peaceful Life movement will bring lasting change to the world. Michelle splits her time between Florida and New York City and loves connecting with people from all over the world. If you'd like to contact her, she can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org