Lately, Gabrielle Bernstein’s quote, “Happiness is a choice I make” has been my go-to affirmation. I truly believe that in every single moment, we have a choice of how we want to act in the situations that arise. This truly is the power of the mind. It’s so interesting to me just how much our thoughts affect our reality. I love experimenting with self-help principles, and for the past couple weeks I’ve made it my mission to be happy for no reason. I have to say it’s really paid off. I’ve found myself happier (of course), less stressed, having more energy, and more aware of what’s going on around me. I’ve noticed myself searching for joy in even the most mundane situations and feeling even-keeled when things don’t go my way. So this week, I report back to you that you too, can choose happiness, you simply have to commit to it. Care to join me? Here are some tips below to help you along the way.
1. Start your day in gratitude. Every morning, when you open your eyes, feel grateful for another day of life. Spend a few minutes in meditation, tapping into that inner peace and connectedness, and maybe even find some time to journal letting your thoughts flow. This sacred time you spend with yourself will set you up for a beautiful day.
2. Set reminders for yourself to remember to choose joy. Find ways to remember your commitment to happiness. I like to set reminders on my phone, leave post-its around my home, and I even have a bracelet that says “choose joy”. Find simple, meaningful ways to help you stay on your path towards happiness.
3. Seek the positive in every situation you encounter. This one may seem challenging or even impossible. I know there are many situations that are traumatic or upsetting. When that happens, allow yourself to feel the emotions that arise, but also stay centered and calm. There are so many lessons and teachings that come from negative experiences; you just have to look for them.
4. Stay present. I’ve found so much happiness by simply being aware of my surroundings. Make an effort to be one-pointed in your actions, be present to those you’re with, and you’ll feel such an overwhelming sense of connectedness with yourself and the Universe.
5. End your day in gratitude. It sounds cliché, but being grateful for your life makes you happy. Before going to sleep, take a mental recap of everything that happened to you in your day and list what you are grateful for. Often times there is SO much to be grateful for that we don’t even realize. Take note, and give thanks.
How do you choose happiness on a daily basis? I love hearing from you!
Michelle is Peaceful Mind Peaceful Life's Creative Director and resident writer. She has a degree in Journalism from Indiana University and is also a certified holistic health coach through the Institute for Integrative Nutrition and registered yoga teacher with trainings with Anuttara Yoga Shala and Strala Yoga. Michelle has a deep desire to help people find happiness in all areas of their lives, and truly believes the Peaceful Mind Peaceful Life movement will bring lasting change to the world. Michelle splits her time between Florida and New York City and loves connecting with people from all over the world. If you'd like to contact her, she can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org