I don’t know about you guys, but the past few weeks for me have felt a little harried. Perhaps this is due to the moon and eclipse, or a deep feeling of change and expansion. I have noticed within myself and those around me a deep sense of anxiety and stress. There is a lot of uncertainty, fear, and unease about the state of the world.
Maybe, this also comes from inner turmoil about whether or not we are living the lives we are truly meant to be living. These are some heavy concerns and burdens to bear, right? Stress is a huge component in our lives, and it is one of the biggest blocks to living a life of freedom, ease, and joy. As we all know, stress leads to many physical ailments and diseases; it truly is the root of our problems. Luckily, we live in a world where we have access to tools for managing stress.
Having the knowledge and tools to manage stress and anxiety empowers us to live the life we truly dream of living. If you feel stress creeping in on your day or into your mind, here are my top five tips to keep anxious thoughts and stress at bay.
1. Practice meditation daily. My meditation practice has been my saving grace when it comes to managing the thoughts of the mind and finding a sense of inner peace. One of the biggest misconceptions of meditation is that its goal is to quiet the mind. It’s actually the opposite. The mind will always think, and it is in this dedicated space that I can let some of the errant thoughts go, without harping on them as I would in regular day-to-day moments.
2. Allow yourself to stop. Many of us get so busy in our lives that we believe that we cannot let ourselves stop. Give yourself permission to stop. You may have a long to-do list, but powering through without giving yourself a chance to stop, breathe, and regroup will not give you the results you desire. Stop before you start again.
3. Remember to breathe. In stressful times we tend to tense up, and in some cases we can forget to breathe! Our breath is our life force, and taking nice, deep, calming breaths can create a huge shift in our mind and body. Feeling stressed? Stop and take a deep breath, and you will probably notice instant relief.
4. Stop comparing yourself to others. Comparison is the true thief of joy. I have noticed when I compare myself to others, I feel stressed, anxious, and judgmental. We are all unique beings living equally different and amazing paths. Comparing is a waste of time. If you want to compete with anyone, gently do it with yourself. Strive to be the best version of yourself every day. Soon, you will notice you’ll care less what others are doing because you are so in love with what you do.
5. Make time for things that make you truly happy. We live in a society that often says doing things for pleasure is selfish. We know better. Self-care is a must! Put time in your calendar to do something you truly enjoy every day. Take a yoga class you love, get that massage you’ve been craving, or spend time with those who lift you up. Make the conscious decision to choose joy every single day.
I hope these tips help you manage any stressful feelings you are having now and always! Tell me in the comments below, what are your go-to’s for managing stress?
Michelle is Peaceful Mind Peaceful Life's Creative Director and resident writer. She has a degree in Journalism from Indiana University and is also a certified holistic health coach through the Institute for Integrative Nutrition and registered yoga teacher with trainings with Anuttara Yoga Shala and Strala Yoga. Michelle has a deep desire to help people find happiness in all areas of their lives, and truly believes the Peaceful Mind Peaceful Life movement will bring lasting change to the world. Michelle splits her time between Florida and New York City and loves connecting with people from all over the world. If you'd like to contact her, she can be reached at email@example.com