If you have been in the Peaceful Mind Peaceful Life community long enough, you know that we really love inspiring quotes. Though we created this site as a way to offer peace, community, and inspiration, my personal love of quotes stems from when I was very young. I have always been fascinated with the words other people use to describe their take on life. While there have been many quotes that have influenced me deeply, I have pooled together my top 5 to share with you this week. I hope they bring you as much inspiration as they have for me!
1. “Don’t take things personally… nothing other people do is because of you.”
–don Miguel Ruiz
I remember the very first time I read this quote. I was completely floored by how much it resonated with me, how much sense it made, and how simple the concept was, yet we all at some point in our lives have taken things personally and therefore have suffered because of it. This quote comes to mind every time I start to go down a rabbit hole of taking-things-personally-thoughts. It’s a true game changer.
2. “When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.”
This quote taught me about faith and trust. I have had many instances in my life where I have felt like things were stacked against me, but this quote taught me to shift my perspective and remember that if I get my mind and my intentions right (i.e. in alignment with my highest truth), then the things that I desire will turn to form.
3. “Nothing goes away until it teaches us what we need to know.”
Life has offered me a lot of repeated lessons. For a long time I would question why these things would constantly and painfully return. Learning this from Pema, allowed me to recognize that all situations, but particularly painful ones, are here to teach us something. So now, when something challenging arises, I look for the lesson. I look to see how I can grow and learn and even do things differently, to create new experiences and teachings for myself.
4. “Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, ‘Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?’ Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won’t feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It’s not just in some of us; it’s in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.”
This quote from A Return to Love awakened in me the belief that it is my duty (and yours) to shine in this world. This quote banishes self-doubt for me. Every time I start to question myself and my worthiness, I think of this. It changes everything.
5. “I am not at the mercy of the external world. We have everything we need to thrive when we are not dependent on anything external for our happiness.”
This one is personal for me as it comes from my mom! She would say this (or a version of it) to me often while growing up, and it used to bug me so much. In my younger years I would often find something external to blame when things went sour, and my mom would remind me of this and I would get so annoyed that she was right; because that’s how mother-daughter dynamics go sometimes! The truth is she was right, and I have always kept this belief of maintaining inner peace no matter what happens externally at the top of my priorities.
I hope that these have spoken to your heart. There are countless other quotes that have inspired me in so many ways! I would love to hear what teachers and their words have touched your life along life’s way.
Let us all know in the comments below!
Michelle is Peaceful Mind Peaceful Life's Creative Director and resident writer. She has a degree in Journalism from Indiana University and is also a certified holistic health coach through the Institute for Integrative Nutrition and registered yoga teacher with trainings with Anuttara Yoga Shala and Strala Yoga. Michelle has a deep desire to help people find happiness in all areas of their lives, and truly believes the Peaceful Mind Peaceful Life movement will bring lasting change to the world. Michelle splits her time between Florida and New York City and loves connecting with people from all over the world. If you'd like to contact her, she can be reached at email@example.com