Hi my dear friends,
Today is my 35th birthday. It’s pretty hard to believe I’ve completed another rotation around the sun, especially considering the wild year that 2020 has been, but nonetheless, here we are. I’ve felt a range of emotions about turning this age, it feels like a milestone of adulthood. Part of me still feels like a 20-something kid, and the other part has always felt like an old soul. Regardless of any of it, I’m so grateful to be here with you to celebrate today, and I’m excited to share with you the 35 things I’ve learned in these 35 years on Earth (in this life :)).
1. The most important relationship you have in your life, is the relationship you have with yourself. Becoming your own best friend is the bedrock for a happy life.
2. True freedom comes when you release the desire to care about what other people think of you. Other people’s opinions of you are really none of your business, and life is so much better that way.
3. Knowing that you will never be able to control what happens in the external world, life is completely unpredictable, but you can cultivate resiliency and manage your actions to it all.
4. Understanding that all people are placed on this earth with completely unique experiences and life circumstances. Our perspectives on life won’t always be the same, and that’s okay.
5. Joy and happiness can be found in the simplest of things and the smallest of moments.
6. Falling off track, mistakes and errors in judgment are simply a part of life, they don’t make you bad or wrong. None of us are perfect, and it’s a waste of our time and energy to try to be. Every difficulty you go through, grows you, gives you strength, character, and resolve.
7. Not all relationships are meant to last forever, it’s okay to release relationships you’ve outgrown.
8. Real power and presence aren’t built on the exploitation of others, but rather an attitude of inclusion, solidarity, empathy, and understanding.
9. Your whole life is not meant to be based around yearning to live up to society’s ideals. You are worthy, beautiful, smart, and capable enough, right now, and always.
10. We are all here on this earth, at this time, for a purpose and a reason, remember that.
11. Try not to take what other people do and say, personally. Other people’s opinions have other people’s energies. Honor yourself by taking in what resonates for you, and releasing the rest.
12. It’s totally and completely okay for people not to like you or understand you. What matters is how you love, honor, and accept yourself. Your life is a masterpiece, it doesn’t have to make sense to anyone else.
13. Don’t worry if your timeline doesn’t match the world’s expectations of you. Your path is yours, and it is unique for a reason.
14. Following the things that light you up is always worthwhile, and laughter really is the best medicine.
15. We aren’t meant to know everything there is to know about life all at once. The beauty is the constant state of learning and uncovering.
16. Loudly and proudly speaking your truth is a true act of bravery.
17. Kindness and empathy are the gifts you give to the world. Give them, and they will always come back to you.
18. Rather than striving to fit in, have the courage to be exactly who you are.
19. Forgiveness doesn’t happen overnight, and it doesn’t mean that what happened is okay. Forgiveness lets you off the hook of holding on to other people’s bad behavior.
20. Saying no, to people, places, and circumstances that make you feel bad about yourself is the highest act of self-care.
21. Your body is your home. Life is too short, and you are too amazing, to spend your time being at war with it.
22. Choosing to be with yourself, rather than settling for less than what you deserve, will always bring you closer to what you desire.
23. Awareness can change everything and is always the first step towards betterment and improvement.
24. People you love will disappoint you, and it will never be a reflection of your value or self-worth.
25. It is never selfish to invest in or take time to care for yourself.
26. You honor your role models and inspirations by becoming the most authentic version of yourself.
27. Grief is a reminder that we experienced love. We can transform it by understanding that it never really goes away, but it is a reminder of a love that completed and fulfilled its purpose.
28. Judgment of your life and the circumstances you were born into won’t get you any closer to the dreams you wish to achieve.
29. Life is filled with heartbreak. Know that someone’s unwillingness to love you for you, has nothing to do with your capacity for love or worthiness.
30. Your energy is a precious resource, be mindful of how you spend it, and protect it at all costs.
31. Relationships are life’s biggest teachers. Your time, effort, energy, and love are never wasted.
32. Knowledge and wisdom are some of life’s most important assets. We change the world by arming ourselves with the truth.
33. It’s never too late to try something new, to start again, and to create the life you truly desire.
34. You are the author of your life’s story. Don’t let someone or something else be the voice of the message you are trying to tell.
35. Hope and trust in life’s infinite possibilities. They are the guiding stars in life. With them we can find a path through the dark times, and the beauty in all things.
Thank you for helping me celebrate this milestone. I am grateful for each and every one of you, and for this wonderful community. Sending you the biggest hug and so much love.
Michelle is Peaceful Mind Peaceful Life's Creative Director and resident writer. She has a degree in Journalism from Indiana University and is also a certified holistic health coach through the Institute for Integrative Nutrition and registered yoga teacher with trainings with Anuttara Yoga Shala and Strala Yoga. Michelle has a deep desire to help people find happiness in all areas of their lives, and truly believes the Peaceful Mind Peaceful Life movement will bring lasting change to the world. Michelle splits her time between Florida and New York City and loves connecting with people from all over the world. If you'd like to contact her, she can be reached at email@example.com