I’m lucky enough to be writing this week’s blog for you on the eve of my 34th birthday! Due to some exciting announcements and scheduling, we decided (for the first time ever!) to send out our newsletter and blog on a Monday this week, which just so happens to coincide with my birthday! Yippie!
I thought long and hard about what my heart would like to share on such a big day in my life. For some reason, the leap from 33 to 34 feels large for me. It feels meaningful, like the beginning of a brand new chapter, but in a completely different way than years before. Who knows what will happen in this next trip around the sun, but in honor of this new phase in my life, I felt it appropriate to share what these past 33 chapters have taught and meant to me.
I truly believe that life is filled with experiences that teach us, challenge us, bring us to our knees, and motivate us. No life is perfect, and no two lives are the same. Life’s experiences are the true treasures, and in the spirit of gratitude, for all that life has taught me, my birthday wish is to share these treasures with the sincerest hope that somehow, they help you, too.
1. Joy and happiness can be found in the simplest of things and the smallest of moments.
2. Release the need to constantly seek approval. Other people’s perception of you is none of your business.
3. Rather than striving to fit in, have the courage to be exactly who you are.
4. It’s totally and completely okay for people not to like you or understand you. What matters is how you love, honor, and accept yourself.
5. Following the things that light you up is always worthwhile.
6. Don’t worry if your timeline doesn’t match the world’s expectations of you. Your path is yours, and it is unique for a reason.
7. Become your own best friend. Everything stems from the relationship that you have with yourself.
8. Your body is your home. Life is too short, and you are too amazing to spend your time being at war with it.
9. Your whole life is not meant to be based around yearning to live up to society’s unfair and unattainable ideals. You are worthy, beautiful, smart, and capable enough, right now.
10. Freedom comes when you can release the need to control. We will never be able to control the external world, but we can always manage our reactions to it.
11. People you love will disappoint you, and it will never be a reflection of your value or self-worth.
12. It is never selfish to invest in or take time to care for yourself.
13. Not all relationships are meant to last forever. It’s okay to let the unhealthy ones go.
14. Grief is a reminder that we experienced love. We can transform it by understanding that it never really goes away, but it is a reminder of a love that completed and fulfilled its purpose.
15. We aren’t meant to know everything there is to know about life all at once. The beauty is the constant state of learning and uncovering.
16. Judgment of your life and the circumstances you were born into won’t get you any closer to the dreams you wish to achieve.
17. Forgiveness doesn’t happen overnight, and it doesn’t mean that what happened is okay. Forgiveness lets you off the hook of holding on to other people’s bad behavior.
18. It’s never too late to try something new, to start again, and to create the life you truly desire.
19. Life is filled with heartbreak. Know that someone’s unwillingness to love you for you, has nothing to do with your capacity for love or worthiness.
20. Relationships are life’s biggest teachers. Your time, effort, energy, and love are never wasted.
21. Saying no, to people, places, and circumstances that make you feel bad about yourself is the highest act of self-care.
22. Falling off track and making mistakes are simply a part of life. None of us are perfect, and it’s a waste of our time and energy to try to be.
23. Knowledge and wisdom are some of life’s most important assets. We change the world by arming ourselves with the truth.
24. Kindness and empathy are the gifts you give to the world. Give them, and they will always come back to you.
25. Loudly and proudly speaking your truth is a true act of bravery.
26. Real power and presence aren’t built on the exploitation of others, but rather an attitude of inclusion, solidarity, empathy, and understanding.
27. We are all here on this earth, at this time, for a purpose and a reason, remember that.
28. Your life, your value, your success, your worthiness are not defined by your relationships with others.
29. Choosing to be with yourself, rather than settling for less than what you deserve, will always bring you closer to what you desire.
30. Other people’s opinions have other people’s energies. Honor yourself by taking in what resonates for you, and releasing the rest.
31. You honor your role models and inspirations by becoming the most authentic version of yourself.
32. You are the author of your life’s story. Don’t let someone or something else be the voice of the message you are trying to tell.
33. Hope and trust in life’s infinite possibilities. They are the guiding stars in life. With them we can find a path through the dark times, and the beauty in all things.
Thank you to all who have been with me for all these years, and being such a big and valuable part of my life. I love you all!
Michelle is Peaceful Mind Peaceful Life's Creative Director and resident writer. She has a degree in Journalism from Indiana University and is also a certified holistic health coach through the Institute for Integrative Nutrition and registered yoga teacher with trainings with Anuttara Yoga Shala and Strala Yoga. Michelle has a deep desire to help people find happiness in all areas of their lives, and truly believes the Peaceful Mind Peaceful Life movement will bring lasting change to the world. Michelle splits her time between Florida and New York City and loves connecting with people from all over the world. If you'd like to contact her, she can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org